LITTLE ROCK (KATV) - A bedridden woman was killed when a fire broke out in her bedroom Tuesday night.
Effie Chatman's adult son, Dwight, tried to drag her hospital bed from the burning house at 1915 South Park Street, but was unable to get her out alive. He had to be treated at a local hospital for burns on both of his arms, according to Captain Randy Hickmon with the Little Rock Fire Department. He has since been released.
Friend and neighbor Louise Oliver said Dwight was devoted to his mother - cooking, cleaning and taking care of her. She said she was heartbroken when she saw Chatman's home.
"I cried. I went over there last night and they told me she was still in the house. That really tore me up," Oliver said. "And then when they brought her out, oh, that was so sad."
Capt. Hickmon said firefighters were able to get the fire out relatively quickly but Chatman had inhaled too much smoke and been exposed to too much heat.
Investigators said a space heater started the flames. Family members told them she ran that space heater year-round.