Benton Attorney Pleads Guilty
LITTLE ROCK (KATV) - More than two years of delays and continuances finally ended today for a Benton attorney. And he won't be an attorney much longer.
In the summer of 2011 when the U.S. Attorney read off the names of twenty people caught up in a drug sting, one name stood out: Dustin Dyer.
For nearly 30 months Dyer has continued to practice law with a federal drug charge hanging over his head.
After a half dozen requests for delays were granted, Tuesday was finally going to be Dustin Dyer's day in court.
It didn't last long.
Dyer arrived at Little Rock's federal courthouse early Tuesday morning already aware of his fate.
There would be no jury selection, no trial and no verdict of guilt or innocence. A negotiated plea had been reached.
Under the deal, Dyer pleads guilty to the felony charge that he used his cell phone to help facilitate a drug deal. The amount of meth involved was more than 10 grams, less than 20.
In exchange for the guilty plea two other counts were dismissed by prosecutors.
And the recommended sentence will be probation, although the judge won't have to agree to that.
A statement issued by Dyer after the hearing reads in part "I fully accept all responsibility for my actions."
After apologizing and thanking supporters, Dyer states he will now "...deal with my substance abuse problems."
Dyer concludes by writing "I have agreed to surrender my law license at sentencing which will be in approximately 90 days, and I will continue to work diligently for all of my clients until that time."
But not so fast says the Arkansas Committee on Professional Conduct.
Director Stark Ligon has emailed Dyer a request that he quickly surrender his law license.
Ligon wouldn't define "quickly" but said if the committee doesn't hear from Dyer or his attorney Bill James within a couple of days...or if the response isn't favorable...then action to suspend Dyer's license will be likely.
Click here to read Dyer's statement in full.
Air date: November 5th, 2013