Chief: Forrest City man killed in house fire

FORREST CITY (Times-Herald) - Authorities say a kerosene lamp appears to be the cause in a house fire that killed a Forrest City man.

The Forrest City Fire Department says Lloyd Hardrick was killed in the fire Wednesday afternoon. Fire chief Johnny Ruffin says the home was packed floor-to-ceiling with various items, which made it difficult for firefighters to make their way through the home.

Authorities tell the Times-Herald that it took several hours for firefighters to extinguish the blaze. Ruffin says Hardrick was dead by the time firefighters reached him.

Ruffin says it appears the fire was caused by a kerosene lamp that tipped over, but authorities are still awaiting a final determination of the cause.

Hardrick's body was sent to the Arkansas Crime Laboratory for an official cause of death.

Click here for more news from the Forrest City Times-Herald.