BOSTON (KATV) -- CNN has backed away from their original claims that an arrest was made in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The cable news network reported Wednesday afternoon that an arrest had been made based on two videos showing images of the suspect, citing a federal law enforcement source. Less than 30 minutes later, the Associated Press also reported that a suspect had been arrested and taken to a Boston courthouse.
Later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told CNN that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.
ABC and NBC News, both citing senior Boston Police officials, each held firm throughout the internet and social media fiasco that no arrest had been made. Both organizations did consistently report that solid progress was being been made in the case, though, also citing videos taken in the area of the explosions.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.