JONESBORO (AP) - Lawyers for a northeast Arkansas city are asking a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit from the mother of a young man who authorities say fatally shot himself while handcuffed in the backseat of a police car.
Chavis Carter's mother, Teresa Rudd, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city of Jonesboro, its police chief and two officers last month.
Attorneys for the city and police filed a response to the lawsuit in federal court on Thursday.
Police in Jonesboro have faced criticism since they said officers searched Carter twice but didn't find a gun before they noticed him slumped over and bleeding in a patrol car on July 28, 2012.
An autopsy said Carter shot himself in the head while he was under the influence of meth.CONTINUED COVERAGE
Chavis Carter: Community demanding answers from Jonesboro PD (Aug. 2, 2012)
300 attend vigil for man shot in police car (Aug. 7, 2012)
Jonesboro police release video re-enactment of squad car shooting (Aug. 15, 2012)
JPD releases dash cam video (Aug. 17, 2012)
Gunshot residue testing not done on Chavis (Aug. 22, 2012)
Jonesboro police respond to criticisms over Carter case (Aug. 22, 2012)
Rev. Jesse Jackson on Carter autopsy results (Aug. 22, 2012)
Rev. Jesse Jackson leads a march in Jonesboro for Carter (Aug. 22, 2012)
Jonesboro officer to be reprimanded after car shooting (Aug. 28, 2012)
Ark. officer back at work after squad car shooting (Aug. 28, 2012)
Woman sues over handcuffed son's death (July 29, 2013)