Kia & Hyundai recall 1.6M cars
Kia and Hyundai are recalling 1.6 million cars.
They seem to all share a defect in their brake lamps. The problem is compounded because it sends incorrect signals to the cars' electronic brains.
Bad signals can cause the gear selector to become stuck in "park." They can also sporadically render the push-button engine start feature useless and create problems with the cars' cruise control systems.
The recall is one of the largest the automakers have ever announced. A list of affected is below:
- 2011 Kia Optimas
- 2007-2010 Kia Rondos & Sportages
- 2007 Kia Sedonas
- 2007-2011 Kia Sorentos
- 2010-2011 Kia Souls
- 2007-2009 Hyundai Accents & Tucsons
- 2007-2010 Hyundai Elantras
- 2010-2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupes
- 2011 Hyundai Sonatas
- 2005-2009 Hyundai Veracruzes