Man pleads for assistance after home destroyed by fire on Christmas

(KATV) A Bauxite family wasunable to cook their Christmas dinner because the turkey fryer set the home onfire. The homeowner says the fire was not caused by user error.

Bobby Gamble recently usedhis saving to pay for the mobile home in full, planning for retirement. The first Christmasthere turned into a nightmare. He wants to be able to move back and make better memories.

Christmas day, the Gamblehouse was filled with family. Bobby stayed outside with a friend, watching thetemperatures on the fryer. He found it out it stayed below 300 degrees. Theynever put the turkey in. "The thermometer was definitely defective. It wasshowing close to 300 and then all the sudden it blazed up. It is a brand new,out of the box fryer."

The flames reached theceiling of the outdoor porch and he screamed for everyone to run outside. "Itdid start spewing over and blazing. It went over to the house and then caughtthe siding on fire."

Injured, gamble grabbed awater hose, a ladder and got on the roof before fire fighters arrived. "It tookabout every fire department in Saline County out here and a water truck to fillthe trucks back up to get it out."

The back half of the homeis destroyed. Gamble has burns to his face and hands but he is still able tolaugh. "I'll never fry another turkey or use a deep fry the rest of my life. Itwill be cooked in the oven or smoker."

He says the outpouring ofhelp from fire fighters the Red Cross and Sally's Body Shop for a temporarycamper has been overwhelming but he is in need of more assistance. Tears runningdown his face, Gamble says, "It would really be greatly appreciated, it wouldbe a blessing."

Sally's Body Shop is allowing the Gamble family to keep the camper on their property for a month.

Gamble doesn't haveinsurance. A friend set up a bank account under the name Bobby Gamble at MetropolitanBank.