One building destroyed, another badly burned in WLR apartment fire

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) - Little Rock fire officials were called to Out In the Woods Apartments located at 9201 Kanis Road after reports of a blaze.

Around 10 a.m. officials arrived at the complex behind Baptist Hospital, and a second alarm was sounded as crews attempted to put the fire out. One building was destroyed while a second was partially destroyed.

About 30 residents were displaced along with loose pets at the scene. People were kept warm in ambulances until the Red Cross arrived.

No injuries were reported.

Stay with Channel Seven for more details at 5 & 6.


Red Cross Press Release:

Disaster Responders with the American Red Cross in Arkansas provided care for the second time within a year for residents at Out In The Wood Apartments, 9201 Kanis Road, Little Rock after a fast moving blaze destroyed Building B, leaving at least 30 residents without a home.

"Our last response to Out In The Woods Apartments this past June, when 25 residents were displaced," stated Communications Information Officer, Brigette Williams.

Red Cross is providing support for food and clothing for most of those displaced, with the addition of emergency stay in hotels for 7 families. Mental health support was provided by Red Cross for those needing emotional support after the morning fire.

With extremely low temperatures forecast for tonight and next week, Arkansans are encouraged to take seriously the following tips to reduce fire risk at homes and apartments, which tend to increase as temperatures drop:

Have a working smoke alarm. Never disconnect it. Make sure the batteries work.

  • Do not use fireplaces and heating units that have not been professionally checked.
  • All heaters need space! Keep things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture as well as pets and people, at least 3 feet away from fireplaces, stoves and space heaters.
  • Place portable space heaters on a hard, level, nonflammable surface.{} Do not put space heaters on rugs or carpets, near bedding or drapes, and keep children and pets away.{} Look for a model that shuts off automatically if the space heater tips over.
  • Do not use heating equipment to dry wet clothing.
  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
  • Never leave portable heaters, wood burning stoves or fireplaces unattended.{} Turn them off before leaving or going to bed.
  • Keep the fire in the fireplace by using a glass or metal screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.

For more safety tips, visit; like us on Facebook/AmericanRedCrossArkansas and follow us on Twitter@RedCrossArkansas