JONESBORO, Ark. (AP) - A planned march in downtown Jonesboro that organizers say is intended to educate people about openly carrying firearms in Arkansas has been postponed because of the shooting death of a 17-year-old boy.
Arkansas Carry planned the march for Sunday - but postponed it until Oct. 6 after police said Jonathon Bell accidentally shot himself to death outside a local restaurant.
Arkansas Carry member Scott Vaughn told The Jonesboro Sun that the march is being postponed "out of respect for the family." He said the march would have gone forward if the shooting had been an act of violence.
Arkansas Carry believes state law allows residents to openly carry firearms if there is no criminal intent.
Arkansas State Police director Col. Stan Witt and Attorney General Dustin McDaniel have said there is no "open carry" law in Arkansas.Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.