Police arrest suspect in shooting death of ASU football player

JACKSON, Tenn. (WBBJ) - Jackson police charge 22-year-old Derrick Wade in the Wednesday night murder of Arkansas State University football playerMarkel Owens.Wade is charged with two counts of felony murder ofMarkel Owens and Johnny Shivers, aggravated robbery of Shivers,attempted first-degree murder of Chermaine Owens, aggravated assault of a16-year-old male, and tampering with evidence. Wade is in custody at the Madison County Jail. The Jackson City Court Judgewill review Wade's charges and determine a bond amount on Saturday morning.Wade isscheduled to be formally arraigned at 8 a.m. Tuesday inJackson City Court. Around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, police were called to a duplex at 770 Walker Road.Chermaine Owens was lying in the front yard with a gunshot wound. Markel Owensand Johnny Shivers were found with gunshot wounds inside the apartment. Shiverswas apparently deceased on the scene. Owens was transported to Jackson-Madison County General Hospital and pronounceddead. Investigators learned that Shivers and his 16-year-old son were arrivinghome when they were rushed by two masked men and forced inside the apartment. The suspects were armed with handguns and demanded money. Markel Owens and hismother, Chermaine Owens, were inside the apartment at the time. Markel Owenshelped his stepfather, Shivers, and began fighting one of the men. Shivers andOwens were both shot during the struggle. One of the gunmen also shot ChermaineOwens. The robbers got away with a large amount of cash. Chermaine Owens was treated and released from Jackson-Madison County GeneralHospital. Police believe Shivers was specifically targeted because police discovered alarge amount of marijuana inside the apartment. Investigators believe therobbers had prior knowledge of the drugs, cash or both that was inside theapartment. During the ongoing investigation, police learned that one of the armedintruders was shot in the thigh during the struggle and needed medicalattention. The investigation has determined that Wade was the injured man.Wednesday night, Wade was taken by private vehicle from Jackson to the RegionalMedical Center at Memphis where he was treated and released. Jackson investigators went to Memphis to follow up on a lead. With theassistance of Memphis police, Jackson investigators found Wade at a relative'shouse around 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Investigators also recovered a handgun fromthe house. Jackson police transported Wade back to Jackson for questioning.Further investigation revealed that Wade was involved in the home invasion. Investigators have developed a person of interest as the second gunman and arein search of him. The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Jackson Police Department'sMajor Crimes Bureau at 731-425-8400 or Crime Stoppers at 731-424-8477 (TIPS).Submit a cyber tip at and click on "web tips".