84
      Thursday
      84 / 69
      Friday
      82 / 67
      Saturday
      84 / 67

      Waterpark owner reacts to parasitic meningitis victim

      © KATV's Katherina Yancy
      LITTLE ROCK - Awell known water park is closing its doors after 85 years because of a livingorganism, reportedly in the water. The Arkansas Department of Health confirms agirl who swam at Willow Springs last week has been diagnosed with parasiticmeningitis.

      The owners found outThursday, they needed to shut down and that the death of a boy in 2010 isconnected with this latest illness.

      Mother of child who died of brain-eating bacteria speaks outafter girl is diagnosed

      The girl is beinghospitalized for the brain eating illness. It is a rare infection but not arare organism.

      "We have thousandsof people that love Willow Springs." David Ratliff started out as anemployee here when he was 12 years old.

      Ten-years ago, David andwife, Lou Ann decided to use their retirement money to purchase the propertythat they say has brought joy to families for generations. "It is hard forus to think about the possibility of a child getting sick out here."

      WillowSprings History

      Last week a girl whoswam at the park got sick. Test results show it is Naegleria. It is commonlyfound in warm fresh water like lakes, rivers, springs and soil. It eatsbacteria found in sand which is what lies at the bottom of the water park. Itenters forcefully through the nose like when going down a slide. The parasitetravels to the brain and destroys the tissue.

      CDC: Naegleria

      The Ratliff's goal usedto be to see Willow Springs into its 100th year of service. "Most of all Ifeel bad for the parents who have been sitting at the hospital."

      "It is exceedinglyrare. A sporadic case occurs one in 33-million." State epidemiologist,Dirk Haselow says two cases in one location is like lightning striking the samespot twice. But says compared to lakes, this water is shallow and heats upfaster. "You can't get rid of it. So there is really no option toremediate a place that appears to be a hot spot."

      The Ratliff's were justtold the 7 year old boy who died of meningitis three years ago is linked tothis current case. "I don't know what we would have done different had wehad more information. I think we would have done something different. I don'tknow if it would have changed things." David Ratliff concludes, "Ihave lived my dream for the past 10 years. I think it is probably over."

      There is chlorine in thewater at Willow Springs but the Arkansas Department of Health says the facilityhas too much organic matter for it to reach the levels needed.

      The Ratliff's willreopen if it is financially feasible to turn the bottom into concrete - like apool.

      Facebook: Prayers For Kali Le Ann

      Press Release

      The Arkansas Department of Health Friday confirmed a rare form of parasitic meningitis, possibly caused by a Little Rock water park.

      Willow Springs Water Park voluntarily shut down based on this new case and another case from 2010 that may have also originated on their property.

      Amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) is caused by an ameba associated with warm rivers, lakes and streams. It can be found in warm freshwater and soil all over the world and can cause a rare but severe brain infection that is usually fatal.

      The illness cannot be passed from person-to-person. Typically, it infects people by entering through the nose as people are swimming and diving. Health officials assured the public in a written statement that people cannot be infected by swimming in a properly cleaned, maintained and disinfected swimming pool.

      While infection with Naegleria can occur anywhere, it usually occurs in the warm southern U.S. From 2003-2012, there have only been 31 reported infections in the U.S. This case is only the sixth case in Arkansas in 40 years.

      The first symptoms of PAM start one to seven days after initial infection. Early symptoms may include headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting. Later symptoms can include stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations. After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly.

      Infection is very rare. ADH officials said in a press release that if you swam at Willow Springs more than eight days ago and have not shown any symptoms, then you are not at any risk of infection. If you swam there in the past week, they said your risk of infection is still "exceedingly low."

      "If you do not have symptoms, there is no test or preventative antibiotic or treatment needed," said State Epidemiologist Dirk Haselow, MD. "Swimming is a healthy summertime activity, and we do not want to discourage people from swimming. If concerned about Naegleria, avoid swimming, diving or other activities that push water up the nose, especially in natural waters when temperatures are high and water levels are low."

      Some additional precautions you can take while swimming during extremely warm periods include:

      • Keep your head out of the water
      • Use nose clips or hold the nose shut
      • Avoid stirring up dirt or sand at the bottom of shallow freshwater areas

      More information about Naegleria fowleri and safe swimming can be found on the CDC website by clicking here.

      Willow Springs Water Park is the oldest water park in Little Rock, first opening for swimming in 1928. The park was used mainly by the servicemen from Camp Robinson which had just recently opened.

      The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) would like to remind the public that infection from naegleria fowleri, or parasitic meningitis, is very rare. If you swam at Willow Springs Water Park more than 8 days ago, you are NOT at risk for the infection. Even if you swam at Willow Springs in the past week, your risk of infection is exceedingly low.

      "If you do not have symptoms, there is no test or preventive antibiotic or treatment needed," said Dirk Haselow, MD, State Epidemiologist at ADH.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER