3-year-old tells dad house is on fire


FORT SMITH (KFSM) - A Fort Smith family escaped from their home just moments before it went up in flames, thanks to their 3-year-old child.

The family turned on their furnace for the first time this season while they ate breakfast Sunday morning. Little A.J. went into his bedroom but then quickly came back out, shut the door behind him and told his dad not to go inside.

"We looked in there and his bed was on fire," said A.J.'s father Ian Taylor.

The Taylor family ran outside, managing to get everyone along with a pet rabbit and one of A.J.'s toys, Big Bird, out safely.

"It spread really fast. I mean, we came out of the house and less than a minute later, its flames were on the roof," said Taylor.

The house was a complete loss, but Taylor said he's just glad his family made it out okay.

Click here for more on this story from our CNN affiliate in Fort Smith, KFSM.