Avgolemono (Lemon Rice Chicken Soup)
Arkansas Rice Expo
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 leek chopped
• 2 medium carrots, diced
• 2 quart of unsalted chicken stock
• 1 cup of Arborio rice
• Juice from 1 lemon
• 3 eggs
• 2 cups shredded chicken, (boneless, skinless breast meat)
• 1 bay leaf
• ¼ cup of dill, chopped
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat then add the leek and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes or just until tender.
2. Add the chicken stock, rice and bay leaf to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
3. Meanwhile in a small bowl beat the eggs together with the juice from one lemon.
4. Add chicken to the pot, then add about a ladle of the soup broth to the egg mixture and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the soup. You will notice the soup will thicken. Season with salt and pepper as needed and if you feel the soup needs more lemon, add more lemon juice as desired.
5. Add the dill and cook for a couple more minutes before serving.
6. To serve you could top this soup with sliced lemons, lemon zest, some feta cheese and more dill