Healthier pumpkin pie
Chef Coby Smith
Arkansas Heart Hospital
1 large (half only) butternut squash Cut squash in half & remove seeds
2 cups pumpkin, canned solid-pack (no additives) split use
3 egg whites beaten until stiff peaks form
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons Splenda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups corn flakes (no sugar, no salt added) good brand choices are
Grainfield’s or Erewhon
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place butternut squash half in a nonstick baking pan in oven, skin side up. Cook until fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Scoop out cooked “meat” with spoon, and place it and 1 cup of the canned pumpkin in a food processor. Puree.
4. In a large bowl, combine the squash/pumpkin mixture, remaining pumpkin, egg whites, lime juice, cinnamon, cardamom, soy milk, Splenda, and vanilla.
5. In food processor, grind corn flakes until they are the size of peppercorns.
6. Lightly spray bottom of pie baking pan (8 inches in diameter) with Pam. To make crust, press corn flakes into bottom of pan.
7. Fill pie pan with pumpkin mixture, and bake in oven at 350 degrees