Pillsbury Pet-Ritz Pie Baking Championship
Michelle Elliott of Maumelle, 1st Place, 2012 Arkansas State Fair
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 tart apples
2 (12 ounce) packages Pillsbury Pet-Ritz Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crusts (2 crusts per package)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar, apple pie spice and brown sugar and bring to boil. Reduce temperature and simmer.
- Peel, core and chop apples.
- Mix apples with the sugar mixture but reserve about 4 tablespoons of the sugar mixture for later.
- Pour apple mixture into two Pillsbury Pet-Ritz pie crusts, mounding the apple mixture in the middle.
- Cover both pies with remaining pie crusts and pinch around the edges to seal.
- Cut a small hole about the side of a quarter in the middle of the top crust and make a few slits in the crust for venting.
- Brush the reserved sugar mixture on top of both pie crusts with a pastry brush.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 35 to 45 minutes.
Yields: 2 pies