Pita Pizza Faces, 9/9/13
Midwest Dairy Association
- 6 whole-wheat pitas (about 4 1/2-inch rounds)
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 3 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into rings and cut in half
- 6 large basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place pitas on a greased cookie tray. For each pita, top with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top of sauce. Make a face using 2 olives for eyes, 1 tomato slice for nose and 1 red pepper strip for smile.
- Bake for 1012 minutes or until cheese is melted. While baking, tear each basil leaf into 4 parts, using 2 pieces for eyebrows and 2 pieces for a bow tie. Place on pizza after slightly cooled.