1# Dried RedKidney Beans (Soaked overnight)
2 Mediumsize onions (yellow or white) chopped fine
4 stalks ofcelery (chopped fine)
1 bellpepper (chopped fine)
1 clove ofgarlic (minced)
2Tablespoons dried oregano
1 Tablespoondried thyme leaves
2Tablespoons black pepper
1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper
2-3 wholebay leaves
4 tablespoons butter
- In a small stock pot ( 2 or 3 quart),Melt butter over low heat.
- Sautee fresh vegetables until translucent-
Note- add garlic last to prevent scorching.
- Introduce drained beans, and cover with fresh water .
- Add dried spices, stir well, bring toroaring boil, stirring often to prevent sticking, and boil for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer over lowmedium heat, continuing to stir periodically, from bottom of pot to top, untilbeans are tender, and begin to break down. Simmer until liquid reduces to a thick and gravy like consistency.
- Serve over steamed rice
(optional) and smoked sausage or andouillesausage may be cooked with, or as a side.