Sesame seared Ahi salad
Yield: 4 entree side salads
For the dressing:
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 c. peeled and chopped ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 T. miso
- 2 T. Creole mustard
- 3/4 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1 T. hoisin
- 2 t. dry mustard
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. sesame oil
Place all of the ingredients except for the two oils in a blender or food processor. Mix well. With the machine running, slowly add both of the oils until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Keep refrigerated.
For the salad:
- I small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 c. edamame, blanched in salted water
- 1 c. mandarin orange segments
- fried wonton strips for garnish
Prep all ingredients for salad and place in a large mixing bowl. Keep chilled until ready to assemble.
For the tuna:
- 1 lb. ahi tuna
- black and white sesame seeds
- peanut oil or other oil for your choice
Cut tuna into 4 ounces portions. Mix black and white sesame seeds together. Dredge tuna in sesame seeds and set aside.
Mirror saute pan with just a bit oil. Heat pan over high heat until smoking. Quickly sear the tuna on all sides, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Take care to not overcook.
Thinly slice and set aside.
To assemble, lightly dress the greens and vegetables. Mound on plate, fan tuna on plate, drizzle with additional dressing and garnish with mandarin orange segments and wonton strips.