Kitchen& Bath Concepts
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces sharp Cheddar, thinly sliced, divided
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 3 ounces pepper Jack cheese, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 large or 2 medium beefsteak or hothouse tomatoes, sliced
- Cooking spray
Heat oil in a nonstickskillet over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium. Add onions and saute,stirring, until edges are browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt andfreshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Place 3/4-ounce Cheddar on 1 slicebread. Spread 1 tablespoon caramelized onions on top of cheeseand top with 3/4-ounce pepper Jack. Top with 1 large or 2 medium slices tomatoand other slice of bread. Repeat with 3 other sandwiches.
Spray a nonstick skillet orgriddle with cooking spray and heat until hot. Place sandwich on griddle and weigh downwith a heavy skillet or plate. Lower heat to medium-low and grill untilunderside is a deep brown but not burnt and cheese is partially melted, about 5to 6 minutes. Flip sandwich and grill other side, anadditional 4 to 5 minutes. Slice in half and serve hot.