Unsolved LR murder 20 years later

    One family, two murders, 13 years apart. One case has a murderer behind bars. The other... unsolved after 20 years.

    It's a tragic story with many twists and turns that leaves a Little Rock woman with little information about her father's murder.

    "Shortly before 7:00 Sunday night, police found the bullet-riddled body of a middle-aged Roland man lying outside his car near the intersection of Chenal Parkway and Highway 10 in west Little Rock," Channel 7's Geoff Morrell reported in a KATV news broadcast on September 26, 1993.

    It was a day that Denise Hickman can recall like it was yesterday.

    "I remember getting a phone call from my dad's widow saying that my father had been hurt. And I asked her what happened and she told me that he was dead. And then I just dropped the phone," said Hickman.

    Someone in a white Chevy pulled up to Jerry Parks car and just started shooting.

    "The occupant of the Chevrolet then fired approximately ten shots based upon the evidence we found at the scene," said Doc Holladay in 1993, back then as a spokesperson for the Little Rock Police Department.

    Hickman's dad was a private investigator and owner of a security company. He would have been turning 67 years old July 3. She was 26 when he was murdered.

    "I didn't know what to believe," said Hickman. "It was years later before I started having my own thoughts of who did it and why it was done."

    And if you do a search of Jerry Parks online, apparently a lot of other people have their own thoughts on who did it too. All stemming from the fact that Parks' security company supplied the guards at the 1992 Clinton-Gore campaign headquarters in Little Rock.

    "I don't believe in any of that," said Hickman. "I don't know where it came from, I don't know who made it up. And I don't understand that but none of that's true where my father is concerned.<>>

    The family can easily tune out the conspiracy theories but what they struggle with is the lack of information about the case from police.

    "They do not return my calls, don't return emails. I don't know what's going on with the case and I think as his daughter I have a right to know what's going on," said Hickman.

    But Little Rock Police say it is cold case but not a closed case and the investigation continues. Which is why they have to remain tight lipped on details even to family members.

    "The specifics of a case that gives away what happens in a murder that would help us solve the case, we don't like putting out there to anybody, family included," said Detective Mike Durham with the Little Rock Police Department.

    13 years after her father's murder, his widow's second husband, Doctor David Millstein is found stabbed to death in his Baxter County home.

    In 2009, Millstein's stepson, Hickman's half brother, is arrested. Prosecutors say he confessed the murder to a friend.

    After days of testimony, evidence, and witnesses, his trial earlier this year ended with a plea deal. First degree murder instead of capital murder and a 20-year sentence based on the agreement that he would share information about co-conspirators.

    "If it'll bring justice to our fathers. Then sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil," said Hickman. "I don't' really like it, I don't' think he got enough time, I think he should serve life in prison but if others will be brought to justice because of this plea then I respect the judges decision."

    Pulaski County Prosecutor Larry Jegley agrees the attention surrounding the Mountain Home murder may help investigators in the Little Rock murder.

    "I say it increases the temperature in the pressure cooker," said Jegley.

    Both prosecutors and police say they have reason to believe that justice will eventually be served.

    "I just gotta believe that sooner or later we'll get the breaks that we need and I'll have a case file on my desk and we'll be deciding what to do," said Jegley.@

    "We have information now days, technology that we didn't have 20 years ago. At the cold case unit we go back and try to get everything in the computer system and down to our crime lab who are very good. And I believe that we can solve any unsolved homicide.<>>

    Hickman just hopes they're right. "He died at 47. I'll be 47 soon. So I just want it solved"

    KATV's Christina Munoz was able to reach the widow of Parks and Millstein twice by telephone. But each time after she introduced herself and told her why she was calling, the widow hung up without comment.

    Click the link up above to see the original story on Jerry Parks' murder done by Channel 7's reporter Geoff Morrell 20 years ago

    News In Photos

      Loading ...