Bacon-wrapped fried shrimp
by Gary Duke
Larger sized shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on
bacon slices, cut in half
Pepper jack cheese
fresh jalapenos cut in slices, seeds removed
buttermilk, flour and breading for battering
salt and pepper for seasoning the flour
oil for frying
1. Filet your shrimp out flat, stuff with a slice of cheese and slice of jalapenos.
2. Pre cook your bacon, it needs to be tender enough to wrap around the stuffed shrimp.
3. Wrap the bacon around the shrimp and secure with a toothpick.
4. In 3 bowls put the flour(seasoned with salt and pepper), buttermilk and batter (you can use fish batter, bread crumbs or Panko)
5. Dredge the wrapped shrimp in the flour, then the buttermilk and finish in the batter. I think they fry better if you refrigerate them for a few hours before frying.
6. Deep fry the shrimp in oil heated to 325. It takes them a little longer to cook then if they are not stuffed.