Arrest made in fatal shooting on New Year's Day in Fayetteville

Police say Christopher Rankin, 25, was arrested and charged with murder in the first degree. (Washington County Jail)

One man is behind bars after a fatal shooting early Monday morning on Dickson Street in Fayetteville.

Police say Christopher Rankin, 25, was arrested and charged with murder in the first degree.

According to the police report, a patrol officer was flagged down around 12:47 a.m. and informed of a disturbance in the parking lot of 548 W. Dickson Street.

When officers arrived on scene, they reported finding Trenton Coney, 22, suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Coney was transported to a local hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Several witness statements were recorded saying that Rankin was speaking with a female subject in the parking lot when Coney, who police learned was a friend of the female, walked up to check on her.

The witnesses said this upset Rankin, who then pulled a gun from his jacket pocket and pointed it at Coney. After exchanging a few words, Rankin put the gun back in his pocket and a physical altercation between Rankin and Coney began.

During the altercation, Coney fell to the ground, at which point Rankin stood over him, pulled the gun back out from his pocket, and fired one shot striking Coney in the chest, according to the police report.

Police say Rankin fled the scene before officers arrived, however, was located a short while later in Fayetteville.

Authorities say Rankin was taken into custody without incident.

During an interview, officers report Rankin admitted to his involvement in the shooting. However, he claimed he fired behind him as he fled away from the victim and he was unaware anyone was wounded.

Officers say this information did not match witness statements or the evidence they had obtained in the investigation.

This is an ongoing investigation, we will update the story as more information becomes available.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off