Following the sway of top prosecutors in other states, Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge said Monday (Sept. 10) she intends to coordinate with the Diocese of Little Rock to review and investigate allegations of abuse within the Catholic Church across the state.
“The Attorney General will not tolerate abuse and will work with local prosecutors and the Catholic diocese to address any issues in Arkansas,” said Amanda Priest, spokesman for the state Attorney General’s office. “Attorney General Rutledge encourages Arkansans with information to contact the Attorney General’s office or a local prosecutor.”
Rutledge’s office issued its brief statement hours after Bishop Anthony Taylor released a list of alleged abuse cases and offered a long and effusive apology for the abuse scandals that have cast a pall over the entire Catholic Church and led several state attorneys general to launch independent probes, starting with New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood’s decision last week to issue subpoenas seeking information from every diocese in that state.
Taylor said the list released by the Little Rock diocese, which oversees the Catholic faith across the state of Arkansas, includes clergy who at some time served in Arkansas and who have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
To read the full story, click HERE.