Sherwood home catches fire twice within 24 hours
SHERWOOD (KATV) —
Workers were busy boarding up the home on West Laramie Drive on Friday, the scene of not one, but two fires within 24 hours.
"I think I'm still in shock, especially since this is the first time I've seen it like this now," said Toshia Stevens.
Stevens was at home on her day off when the first fire broke out early Thursday afternoon. The family was told the initial fire was electrical in nature; most of the damage confined to the roof and garage.
"All the bedrooms, everything back this way was okay," remarked Stevens. "Just smoke and all, but we thought we had time to come back. They told us we could come back and grab things."
A local church stepped up to put the family up in a hotel for several nights. That's where the family was when they got word that the house caught fire again.
"I just kept thinking, how could it," questioned Stevens. "They were saying all the electric and that was off."
While the family is heartbroken to see their home of 14 years destroyed, they said they're lucky the blaze that ended up gutting their house happened while they were elsewhere.
"It's a big shock, I loved this house," lamented Stevens. "A lot of memories, a lot of babies' first walks, all that mushy stuff. It's going to be hard, but at least we're safe."
A battalion chief for the Sherwood Fire Department told KATV it's rare for a house to reignite, especially 12 hours after the initial inferno. They say it'll be several days before they know an official cause of the fire.