BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — Jaw-dropping video obtained by Eyewitness News shows two people wearing dark clothing, pouring what appears to be gasoline on the ground and onto the side of the building.
Just after midnight Monday, the Kern County Fire Department received calls for what they initially thought was a ground fire outside a small business on Niles Street and Camino Primavera.
But the video reveals a whole different story, as Servicio de Immigracion also known as Immigration Services, was set on fire by two suspects.
Shortly after dousing more gasoline and spraying it all over the security camera, one of the suspects then ignites gasoline that would set the building on fire, but then accidentally set themselves on fire too.
It looked like a scene straight out of a movie.
They did not stop, drop and roll. Instead, they're seen running away while still on fire.
Officials said when they saw the footage, they were shocked at what led up to the fire.
Andrew Freeborn said, “Yeah the footage is quite dramatic, and we hope that uh these individuals are identified quickly”.
When Eyewitness News spoke with KCFD Captain Andrew Freeborn, he said the fire was put out in about 10 minutes.
“When firefighters arrived, they had found that the fire was located towards the rear of the structure and the garage area," said Freeborn.
He said smoke got inside the building, but firefighters were able to keep flames contained to the garage area, but unfortunately, the damage was already done.
Aftermath video shows what was lost in the fire including an industrial fan burned and a ring security camera melted away.
Eyewitness News spoke to the owner of Servicio de Immigracion and he told Eyewitness News he’s devastated and doesn’t know how to move on from something like this.
Part of his services is to also file his clients' taxes and with tax season nearing the future of the business is uncertain.
He said it saddens him that someone would want to see his 3-year-old business burn down.
As far as the suspects, it's unclear how badly they were injured.
The owner said his other business is located at 4729 Planz Road and is open to help those that may have been affected due to the fire.